Re: [widgets] Screenshots and case sensitive file names

Hi Rainier,
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Hillebrand, Rainer
<Rainer.Hillebrand@t-mobile.net> wrote:
> Dear Marcos,
>
> IMO, it is a good idea to support multiple screenshots that are used to represent a widget in a running state. So, I support your proposal. The P&C might not be the right place to define "running state". Under the assumption that a widget could be in different running states multiple screenshots make sense, too. However, if we define the running states in another specification then it will be fine to associate these running states with the screenshots as well. If not, then a WUA will not know which screenshot to use.

The use case for screenshots if for galleries and for allowing users
to see what the application looks like prior to download. I'm not
really understanding your use case.

>Different levels of preference are not sufficient for this purpose because the WUA does not know which running state has a "higher level" then another one. Shouldn't we associate each screenshot to zero or more running states? What would you think about:

I'm sorry, I don't get it; but....

> Usage Example 1:
>
> <widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets">
>        <screenshot src="/screenshots/mainscreen.jpg"/>
> </widget>
>
> Usage Example 2:
>
> <widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets">
>        <screenshot src="/screenshots/mainscreen.jpg">
>                <state>installed</state>
>                <state>running</state>
>        </screenshot>
>        <screenshot src="/screenshots/mini.jpg">
>                <state>background</state>
>        </screenshot>
>        <screenshot src="/screenshots/default.jpg"/>
> </widget>

What I'm seeing here are description or alternative text for the
screenshot. How about just adding a simple "alt" attribute, which
serves both your use case and makes the screenshot accessible.

 <screenshot src="/screenshots/default.jpg" alt="main screen"/>
 <screenshot src="/screenshots/lvl1.jpg" alt="Level 1 - pwing n00bs!"/>

Kind regards,
Marcos

--
Marcos Caceres