Re: [Selectors API] Call for Consensus - approve John Resig's tests

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > However, I don't think the things tested in 002 are controversal. In
> > particular, all the UAs have converged on the behaviour tested by
> > 002-001 for other objects
>
> Ah, that wasn't the case last I checked.  And again, there's no
> specification I can find that requires it.

WebIDL defines the class name and ECMAScript requires the [object foo]
serialisation, if I'm not mistaken.

If I'm wrong and it's not required yet, then I guess I have a bug report
for heycam. :-)

> > and I think there's no controversy over [002-002]
>
> Probably not, though I suspect that Gecko won't implement this any time
> soon; certainly not until WebIDL stabilizes more.  It requires some
> pretty nontrivial changes.

For the Selectors API as far as I can tell it's trivial to implement, no?
Just put the APIs on the other interfaces directly.

> > So since everyone is converging on the behaviour tested here, it
> > should be pretty safe.
>
> It depends on whether you want tests for behavior that UAs are
> converging on or for behavior that the relevant specs actually require.

Technically, Selectors API does require these, no? I agree that for
002-001 it's more implicit, but 002-002 and 002-003 are explicit.