Re: [Selectors API] Call for Consensus - approve John Resig's tests

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> [...] To clarify that, this is a call for consensus on the following
> question:
>
> The test suite by John Resig, 2009-02-19 version[1] is a sufficiently
> complete test suite for the editor's draft version 1.97[2] of "Selectors
> API"
>
> [1] http://github.com/jeresig/selectortest/blob/4827dedddaea6fa0b70cfdaadeeafef0d732a753/index.html
> [2] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/webapi/selectors-api/Overview.html?rev=1.97&content-type=text/html;%20charset=iso-8859-1

I would be betraying my roots if I didn't at least try to find bugs here. :-)

I submit the following as extra tests for the test suite:

   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/dom/selectors/001.html
   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/dom/selectors/002.html

Also, I would like to ask that we not consider pre-release browsers as
proof of implementability. It is often possible to implement something "in
the lab", as it were, despite there existing practical problems that would
prevent the feature from being implementable in end-user software. (This
is the reason behind the "is shipping" condition that the CSS 2.1 CR exit
criteria has.) In practice I don't think this would delay our reaching PR
much, since all the implementing browsers are likely to reach that stage
relatively soon.

So I don't agree that we have yet proved interoperability at a level that
I think we should aim for. But I think we're very close!