Re: [widgets] OAuth and openID

I agree that postponing any detailed work may be the most pragmatic
answer, however oAuth is actually a very important technology for
Widgets.

oAuth enables a user of an application such as a widget to link that
application to an external service, without the application storing,
or having access to, any user credentials.

For example, using oAuth, a Photo Widget could get access to a user's
Flickr account, without the Photo Widget storing the username and
credentials of the user, just an authorization token that cannot be
reused for any other user or service. To set up the token, the first
time the Photo Widget is installed, the user is prompted to go to
Flickr, log in there, and agree to grant the widget access to the
service.

Currently very many widgets store user's account details in widget
preferences as this is the only means of user access they have that
doesn't involve the user constantly re-entering account details to get
at basic functionality. In some environments this may not be a
significant risk, depending on how preferences are stored and
accessed; however in many cases the fact that a widget can impersonate
the user (logging on as the user, rather than with a token) causes
issues for trust and auditing.

Because many widgets are small local applications offered for remote
services that use different user accounts, oAuth is a very important
and relevant technology. Which is why, for example, it has been a
major task in the oAuth and OpenSocial/Gadgets community to integrate
the technology.

((Note also that last I heard oAuth was going to IETF for
standardisation))