[widgets] Declarative support for a widget's metadata

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:47:31 -0500
To: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Marcos,

A few weeks ago we talked about how a widget author could add widget-
specific metadata (e.g. initial settings) to the config file [1].

I think providing a declarative means to provide this metadata is
consistent with existing Req #14 - Widget Metadata [2]. Additionally,
at least some of the Widget User Agents in the Widgets Landscape
document also support this functionality [3].

The type of syntax to support this would be something like:

<preference name="..." value="..."/>

And the A&E's getPreference method [4] would return the value
attribute's value.

I realize an author can define all of its widget-specific metadata in
script but having the data defined in the config file is consistent
with some existing WUAs.

WDYT?

-Regards, Art Barstow

[1] <http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/webapps/20090202>