Re: Call for Consensus - Selectors API to Candidate Rec

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:39:46 -0500
To: John Resig <jeresig@gmail.com>
CC: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>

John Resig wrote:
> As of last night's nightly WebKit has the first 100% passing implementation.

Interesting.  Did they do this by violating the "If the user agent also
supports some level of CSS, the implementation SHOULD support the same
set of selectors in both these APIs and CSS" recommendation?

I'm not sure what I think of this, if so,  Perhaps the test should be
testing that selectors API returns the same results as CSS selector
matching instead of testing that particular selectors which might become
valid CSS in the future are unsupported.  That way, if at some point an
extended :not syntax is in fact implemented we won't have browsers
implementing it failing this test all of a sudden.

-Boris