Re: DOMTimeStamp binding

From: Kartikaya Gupta <lists.webapps@stakface.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 23:35:19 +0000
To: Darin Adler <darin@apple.com>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:01:44 -0800, Darin Adler <darin@apple.com> wrote:
> Of course, WebKit could change. But I thought the point here was that
> the top market share browsers all already agree. I don't see the
> upside in changing, given that. Converting the value to a date is
> extremely simple. Lets make new APIs use whatever rule we think is
> sensible, but I don't see the compelling need to change old, already
> interoperable APIs. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that this is
> one of those.

I agree. I think it makes more sense to leave the ECMAScript binding for Event.timeStamp (and the DOMTimeStamp type in general) a number.

I also looked through the HTML5 draft and found the following properties are of type DOMTimeStamp:

I'm not really sure what the main use cases for these properties are, and whether or not it makes more sense for them to be returned as a number or as a Date in ECMAScript. However, as I suggested before, I think that a new type should be created for those that should return a Date.