Re: DOMTimeStamp binding

From: Darin Adler <darin@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:01:44 -0800
Cc: Kartikaya Gupta <lists.webapps@stakface.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

On Feb 12, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:51:02 +0100, Darin Adler <darin@apple.com>
> wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 2009, at 7:08 AM, Kartikaya Gupta wrote:
>>> Latest version of Chrome is still giving me a Date object. I don't
>>> know what version of WebKit it's using.
>>
>> Chrome uses an entirely different JavaScript binding, not the
>> standard WebKit one, so I'm not surprised that itís exhibiting
>> different behavior.
>
> Would it be possible to make it bind to Date instead? That would be
> neat. (We are making other changes to the relevant specifications
> anyway.)

Of course, WebKit could change. But I thought the point here was that
the top market share browsers all already agree. I don't see the
upside in changing, given that. Converting the value to a date is
extremely simple. Lets make new APIs use whatever rule we think is
sensible, but I don't see the compelling need to change old, already
interoperable APIs. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that this is
one of those.

     -- Darin