Re: SVG as Widget Icon (was: Request for Comments: Last Call WD of Widgets 1.0: Packaging & Configuration spec; deadline 31 Jan 2009)

From: Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:40:27 +0100
To: "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Marcos Caceres" <m.caceres@qut.edu.au>

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:59:53 +0100, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> On another topic, I would like to use Widgets with pure SVG content,
> rather than including HTML... I didn't see a clear way to do this, nor
> was it explicitly disallowed.  I'll review the spec more to see if there
> are problems in this regard.

Informational: Opera's pre-P&C-implementation allows widgets in any format that Opera can handle natively, using the widgetfile element [1][2].  Given that the P&C-specification does not explicitly disallow or mandate a content type for the start file, I would expect this behavior to be conformant in an implementation of P&C

[1] <URL:http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/opera-widgets-specification-1-0-third-ed-2/#xml_widgetfile_element>
[2] Should be testable both in Opera 9.6x and the upcoming Opera 10.00

--
Arve Bersvendsen

Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/