Re: [selectors-api] SVG WG Review of Selectors API

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:13:22 -0500
To: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org

Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> well, assuming that an author will need to match elements across
> multiple namespaces, it will be easier to use XPath (that also is
> compatible across multiple browsers) than to use horrible workarounds
> like "svg :not(foreignObject) *[href]" (all svg links)

I should note that that selector doesn't actually work to select things
that are not inside a foreignObject...  Offhand, I see no way to do
that, in fact.

> 1) discussion of pros and cons of available technologies (don't use
> functions or objects to avoid infinite loops or recursion, don't use
> string to avoid syntax problems), it looks that a NSResolver object (a
> wrapped hash map, not an interface for a js function like
> XPathNSResolver) is the best solutions

Would you be willing to expand on why you think that's the best
solution?  (Maybe it is; I'd just like to know the analysis that led to
this decision.)

It would be really nice to make progress here, since I do think that
namespace support in Selectors API would be quite useful for the SVG case...

-Boris