Re: Using W3C widgets in a web container: two implementations contrasted

Hi Scott,
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Scott Wilson
<scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Marcos,
>
> A widget engine, in our use of the term, is a server-side web application
> that publishes widgets and implements the Widget API as a web service
> accessible via AJAX. As it stands all browsers will block any cross-domain
> Javascript requests, and this will apply in all cases where a Widget is
> making use of an external web API (e.g., a weather API, or external RSS
> feed). The only other options are:
>
> (1) always use JSONP calls instead of regular AJAX - but this requires
> changes at the service endpoint to support JSONP, which isn't really the
> widget ethos, which is about exposing web services in new ways without
> redesigning the services themselves
> (2) constrain widgets to only invoke web services from within the same
> domain that hosts the widget - but this is extremely limiting, and couples
> the widget engine host to the web API host.
> (3) have widgets invoke external requests via a server-side proxy offered in
> the same domain as the widget engine that is serving the widget
>
> If the W3 work on access policy - for allowing read-only AJAX requests -
> gets built into browsers, then the requirement for server-side proxies for
> web widgets may be less in the future, as most widgets only make GET
> requests to external web services.
>
> Note that Google also implements a server-side proxy for Gadgets to access
> external content, with the method "_IG_FetchContent(url, callbackFunc)",
> which is similar to the Palette approach.

Ok, I see where you are coming from now. Our definition of widget is
different. Please see the Differences from Web Widgets section in the
Widgets Landscape document [1]. Our intention is to allow the
interactions you describe to occur on the client side without
requiring assistance from the server side.

Kind regards,
Marcos

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-land/#differences

--