RE: [selectors-api] Selectors API I18N Review...

(This is a personal response)

Hi Lachlan,

I didn't expect any other response from you, really.

At a minimum, I think we would expect a health warning or warnings in the API spec, since Selectors themselves don't address the issue. Our WG could recommend some appropriate text that is not too dire-looking.

> While I understand that the
> CSSWG have not yet adequately addressed the i18n issues in their
> spec, there's nothing I can do to resolve that.

I recognize that. For reasons I won't go into here, I note that lack of maturity in CSS3 doesn't block your advancement. But advancing your document without the issue being resolved might lead to a "de facto" standard that is hard to overturn/undo.

> I could not define any normalisation in this spec without
> indirectly
> affecting how selectors work in other specs that use them, like CSS.

I agree. But my concern looks something like:

- You publish; various interoperable implementations are created which do not address Unicode normalization. Normalization is not addressed, since CSS3 hasn't dealt with it yet.

- CSS3 later decides to address normalization. One of two outcomes is possible:

   a. Defining normalization breaks the extant implementations; tough luck for the implementers.
   b. Everyone pretends that normalization isn't somehow important; tough luck for users.

We've been living in "world (b)" for some time now. The situation is becoming less pretty as more languages that use combining marks and compatibility forms come into common usage on the Web. So, as I said, I think it likely that our WG will want to help you advance in some useful (non-blocking) way. Our next meeting is tomorrow, so look for a formal response from us shortly.

Kind Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126