Re: [selectors-api] LCWD comments

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:17:44 +0100
To: Krzysztof Maczyński <1981km@gmail.com>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org

Krzysztof Maczyński wrote:
>> The term context node refers to the node upon which the method was
>> invoked.
>
> Could this name be changed? It causes confusion with XPath 1.0.

I'm not familiar with XPath's usage of the term. Please explain why this
is a problem for two completely orthogonal specs to define the same term
with different meaning?

>> The term node's subtree refers to the tree of elements that are
>> descendants of the context node.
>
> They often don't form a tree. The name should be changed or the node
> itself included. Clarification is necessary either way because it
> affects the prescribed behaviour when the node is an element which
> matches the group of selectors.

I cannot find an alternative term that would be appropriate.  However, I
have adjusted its definition to refer to the nodes as a collection
rather than a tree.

>> Authors are advised that while the use of pseudo-elements in
>> selectors is permitted, they will not match any elements in the
>> document, and thus would not result in any elements being returned.
>
> The CSS WG is currently wondering whether elements should be able to
> be descendants of some pseudo-elements (notably :selection,
> :first-line and :first-letter). So this note may need correction.

As Boris explained, this is not relevant.

You may review the changes in the latest editor's draft.

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api/

Please let me know if you are satisifed with this response.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/