Re: [selectors-api] LCWD comments

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:17:44 +0100
To: Krzysztof Maczyński <1981km@gmail.com>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org

Krzysztof Maczyński wrote:
>> The term context node refers to the node upon which the method was
>> invoked.
> Could this name be changed? It causes confusion with XPath 1.0.

I'm not familiar with XPath's usage of the term. Please explain why this
is a problem for two completely orthogonal specs to define the same term
with different meaning?

>> The term node's subtree refers to the tree of elements that are
>> descendants of the context node.
> They often don't form a tree. The name should be changed or the node
> itself included. Clarification is necessary either way because it
> affects the prescribed behaviour when the node is an element which
> matches the group of selectors.

I cannot find an alternative term that would be appropriate.  However, I
have adjusted its definition to refer to the nodes as a collection
rather than a tree.

>> Authors are advised that while the use of pseudo-elements in
>> selectors is permitted, they will not match any elements in the
>> document, and thus would not result in any elements being returned.
> The CSS WG is currently wondering whether elements should be able to
> be descendants of some pseudo-elements (notably :selection,
> :first-line and :first-letter). So this note may need correction.

As Boris explained, this is not relevant.

You may review the changes in the latest editor's draft.

Please let me know if you are satisifed with this response.

Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software