Re: [access-control] Rename spec?

Hi,

On Jan 13, 2009, at 11:50 AM, ext Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I know some people (e.g. Ian) don't like the idea, but it seems the
> name "Access Control for Cross-Site Requests" confuses people,
> especially the "Access Control" part:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/12/10-minutes#item03
>
>   'TBL: Calling it Access Control" is misleading. It's about privacy.'
>
> Henri Sivonen suggested "Cross-Origin Data Sharing" on IRC the
> other day:
>
>   http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090112#l-139
>
> Since it can be about more than just data, e.g. images, "Cross-
> Origin Resource Sharing" might be more appropriate. Keeping the
> header names the same seems fine, they're just opague strings, but
> at least making it more clear what the specification is about might
> help people.

It's been over a year since we last changed the name of this spec so
I guess it's about time we renamed it again :-):

[[
Authorizing Read Access to XML Content Using the <?access-control?>
Processing Instruction 1.0

Enabling Read Access for Web Resources

Access Control for Cross-site Requests
]]

I do agree the title is important and support either of the proposed
new titles (preference goes with "Resource"). One question I have
here is whether "Domain" would be more accurate than "Origin".

The only concern I have is whether a name change would be problematic
to anyone that may have implemented the latest Draft. OTOH, a WD is
always at risk of being substantially changed.

-Regards, Art Barstow