Re: [access-control] Rename spec?

Hi, Anne-

Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 1/13/09 11:50 AM):

> I know some people (e.g. Ian) don't like the idea, but it seems the name
> "Access Control for Cross-Site Requests" confuses people, especially the
> "Access Control" part:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/12/10-minutes#item03
>
>   'TBL: Calling it Access Control" is misleading. It's about privacy.'
>
> Henri Sivonen suggested "Cross-Origin Data Sharing" on IRC the other day:
>
>   http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090112#l-139
>
> Since it can be about more than just data, e.g. images, "Cross-Origin
> Resource Sharing" might be more appropriate. Keeping the header names
> the same seems fine, they're just opague strings, but at least making it
> more clear what the specification is about might help people.

Cross-Origin Resource Sharing seems like a pretty good name to me.
Cross-Origin Resource and Permissions Sharing Exchange is a funnier
acronym, but that might not be the best criteria for name selection.  I
think that images are just another kind of data, but "resource" is
probably more evocative of a range of data types.

I'm in favor of changing the name, for the reasons stated, and would
support Cross-Origin Resource Sharing.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs