Re: Proposal: Detecting when the user leaves a page due to hitting the back button or typing in a URL or going to a favorite

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:28:53 -0500
To: "Shropshire, Andrew A" <shropshire@att.com>
CC: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org

Shropshire, Andrew A wrote:
> For those that don't, making the unload event cancellable won't break
> anything (it won't be fired multiple times because the first time it's
> fired is the last for the page because it gets unloaded on the first
> fire since these existing web apps don't know that it can be cancelled
> and thus don't do it).

That last part does not follow, though we all wish it did.  There are
plenty of cases of web apps and web pages doing cargo-cult copy-paste
programming, with operations that are no-ops happening all over.  If
they suddenly stop being no-ops, these pages break.  Some research into
any web browser bug database would pull up a number of examples.

That is, I will bet money there are pages out there that _do_ try to
cancel the unload event and that would break if it were actually canceled.

-Boris