RE: Proposal: Detecting when the user leaves a page due to hitting the back button or typing in a URL or going to a favorite

From: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:53:10 +0100
To: "'Boris Zbarsky'" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, "'Shropshire, Andrew A'" <shropshire@att.com>
Cc: <public-webapps@w3.org>

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Shropshire, Andrew A wrote:
> > 1. Allow the unload event to be cancellable from script.  This
> > will allow web designers to recreate the modal flavor of
> > desktop apps like MS Excel that prompt with "Yes/No Cancel"
> > when there are unsaved changes.
>
> Doesn't the onbeforeunload event do this?  Or is your issue
> wanting to change the text and/or provide that one extra option
> (instead of the two dialogs one would need right now to give all
> three of Yes/No/Cancel as options)?  If so, would it make sense to
> extend onbeforeunload to do what you want instead of changing
> unload?

Yes, that's the way I would go. I've also wanted to be able to
customize the onbeforeunload dialog in some projects.

There's some write-up here:
http://www.openajax.org/runtime/wiki/Enhanced_support_for_dialogs

Care must be taken though to ensure there is always a way to
continue even if a custom dialog in an evil page "removes" the
Continue option.

Best regards
Mike Wilson