RE: [cors] TAG request concerning CORS & Next Step(s)

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:46:19 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Arthur Barstow <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Henry Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
> To: Arthur Barstow; public-webapps; Henry Thompson
> Subject: Re: [cors] TAG request concerning CORS & Next Step(s)
>
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:29:38 +0200, Arthur Barstow
> <Art.Barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
> > 2. For those that have been active in defining the CORS model and/or
> > CORS implementers - particularly Adam, Anne, Jonas, Hixie, Maciej, IE
> > guys (whomever replaced Sunava) - please indicate:

> > b) their implementation plans for CORS.
>
> I cannot comment on behalf of Opera on this. I can point out that
> Safari 4
> and Chrome 2 ship with it and that Firefox 3.5 will too. (No
> implementation will support redirects yet though, as I understand
> things.)
> Internet Explorer 8 supports a subset of the protocol.

As Anne says, IE8 ships with a profile of CORS that deals with public (non-authenticated) requests. For this subset, we are interoperable with Firefox 3.5 and presumably Safari 4 and Chrome 2. In addition to the versions for XP, Vista, and Windows Server, IE8 will ship as a component of Windows 7 later in the year tied to Microsoft's standard support policy, which currently provides for 10 years of support.

Clearly, adoption requires browsers and web applications to implement and utilize the feature and there is coverage in many desktop browsers and likely some mobile devices to address part of the story. We haven't made any decisions yet about whether we will implement more of the CORS spec in a future release.

Cheers,

Adrian.