Re: [selectors-api] Transitioning to CR

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:12:35 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> of
>> CSS?
>> >
>> > I was advised to set the requirements low so that it would be easier
>> > to proceed past CR.  With these requirements, we can get past CR
>> > relatively quickly.  If we need to wait for at least 2 implementations
>> > that both get 100%, that will just delay the spec by 6 to 12 months
>> > awaiting the browser vendors' next release cycle.
>>
>> I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I am unaware of any
>> external time pressure on this specification. If there aren't any, why
>> not delay it so we can do the hard (and right) thing of only shipping
>> when we have fully demonstrated interoperability?
>
> That seems wiser to me too. The rush is to get interoperable
> implementations, not to get RECs.

That's true. THe question is whether a REC makes it easier to get a new
interoperable implementation. And it's open, as far as I can see.

Assuming we have implementation of everything, twice, and that for
everything we have at least two implementations that interoperate, and
that we have a very high level (95% or more) of interoperability of at
least 3 implementations, and that we have one complete implementation, and
that we are confident that the barriers to completion are now just bugs
*that will be fixed* (as opposed to bugs that will live forever), the
question becomes relevant.

In the meantime, we still don't have any consensus that our test suite is
ok, so the rest of the question is a bit academic...

... but assuming we get that, and because it seems that we are at least
very near the above set of assumptions, let's decide whether to go the
fast or hard way to REC, too. Which means more feedback on this question
is welcome.

cheers

Chaals