Re: [webidl] DOMString

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:04:15 +1000
To: Oliver Hunt <oliver@apple.com>
Cc: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
Hi Oliver.

Oliver Hunt:
> Conceivably the language could be a relatively simple and broad
> statement along the lines of:
> "Any type conversions needed for a language binding should occur before
> an API function is called, if a type conversion fails for any reason the
> call should be aborted"
>
> However this doesn't address the issue of callbacks that throw
> exceptions, or returns incorrect types leading to an exception on type
> conversion, etc, etc

I’ve added wording to cover this, but without using RFC 2119 language;
the spec doesn’t define a conformance class for language bindings.

  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#callback-attribute-exceptions
  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#callback-operation-exceptions
  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#type-conversion-exceptions

The ECMAScript binding as currently written should follow these
guidelines already.  I’ve yet to add a section in the Java binding on
how “host objects” should deal with “user implemented objects”.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/