Re: [cors] Review

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Tyler Close<tyler.close@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/17 Adam Barth <adam@adambarth.com>:
>> I'd classify this as moderately difficult. It's not something I can do for $5, but given a few hundred dollars, I can probably do it. Recall that sending an HTTP request requires a full TCP handshake, so its not as easy as SYN flooding.
>>
>> Adam
>
> And also:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing

Wikipedia seems disagree with your point that IP-based authenication
is inherently broken.  From that page:

"IP spoofing can also be a method of attack used by network intruders
to defeat network security measures, such as authentication based on
IP addresses. This method of attack on a remote system can be
extremely difficult, as it involves modifying thousands of packets at
a time."

I'm not sure "extremely difficult" is the characterization I'd use,
but the reality is that some number of services use IP-based
authenication.  In some cases, it's a bad idea.  In other cases, like
the ACM digital library, it works quite well.

Adam