RE: [cors] Web application

From: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 23:54:36 +0200
To: "'Anne van Kesteren'" <annevk@opera.com>, "'Mark Nottingham'" <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: "'WebApps WG'" <public-webapps@w3.org>
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:54:22 +0200, Mike Wilson
> <mikewse@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> > > You said Web application has been traditionally used to refer
> > > to server-side applications. Is there any reference for this?
> > > It seems more logical to call those Web services to me. Also,
> > > the name of this group suggests Web applications is pretty
> > > much client-side so I'm thinking of simply removing
> > > "client-side" within CORS.
> >
> > I think this suggestion breaks with well established terms in
> > web application development. A short (and not very formal)
> > summary of these terms could be something like: [...]
>
> I note you did not define Web application.

Hm, I thought I did. I defined two types of web applications, client-
side and server-side, both of which are web applications. I would
expect the W3C webapps group to deal with both types, no?

Note that, while the webapps group deals with browser ("client-side")
technologies, these are used by both client-side and server-side
web applications, although to different extents.

> Wikipedia seems to
> concur with me by the way (and the name of this WG):
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application

No, they actually don't. The article is mainly about server-side
web applications with a few mentions about client-side webapps, not
only about client-side webapps as you indicate.

My other objection was about your suggestion
  "Web application has been traditionally used to refer to server-
  side applications. It seems more logical to call those Web services
  to me.".
Check the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_service
and you'll see that they agree with my definition and that these are
not server-side web applications.

Lastly, I had a look at the CORS spec and I agree that you should
probably skip the use of "client-side web application". These are
really just statistical measures, f ex current server-side webapps
usually make use of some script for certain tasks, so saying "client-
side" doesn't really define anything.
If you want to make a point of that certain features require script
then it is better to write that - "web applications using script" -
or even "web sites or web applications using script" as CORS doesn't
really limit itself just to webapps.

Best regards
Mike Wilson