RE: [cors] Web application

From: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:54:22 +0200
To: "'Anne van Kesteren'" <annevk@opera.com>, "'Mark Nottingham'" <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: "'WebApps WG'" <public-webapps@w3.org>
I think this suggestion breaks with well established terms in
web application development. A short (and not very formal)
summary of these terms could be something like:

client-side web application:
- main part of presentation logic running as script in the
  browser
- HTML user interface presented in the browser, usually
  updated incrementally through DOM operations

server-side web application:
- main part of presentation logic written in a server-side
  environment and running on the server
- data rendered to HTML on the server and presented as static
  page in the browser

web service:
- no presentation logic, just serving data
- provides access to data typically through some XML/SOAP
  dialect over HTTP

A client-side web application may very well use web services
for fetching and storing data (and so may a server-side web
application, although from the server and not from the user's
browser).

Best regards
Mike Wilson