[widgets] Implementing Google Wave with W3C Widgets

From: Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 10:37:35 +0100
To: public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
Hi everyone,

Something that may be of interest if you've been following the
announcement of Google Wave[1].

Back in January we discussed our W3C Widgets implementation
(Wookie[2]), and our extensions to cover shared states and
collaboration[3], a demo of which we brought to the Paris F2F.

Well, Google Wave has a very similar API to our own for adding
collaborative Gadgets to waves[4], so we've implemented the draft API
and mapped it onto our existing functionality. We then tested this by
taking the Google Sample Wave Gadgets[5], and converting them to W3C
Widgets (removing Gadget markup, and adding config.xml). We've then
successfully deployed these using Wookie in a web application (see
screenshot[6]).

These work pretty much as demonstrated by Google, but using our
existing Wookie codebase, which uses Comet to achieve synchronous
updates between Widget instances.

(You can see how the API calls work in the test harness widget on the
left of the screenshot).

This raises the question as to whether and how we want to progress the
collaboration/shared state Widget extensions?

Cheers,

Scott

[1] http://wave.google.com/
[2] http://getwookie.org