Re: [widgets] Draft Minutes from 14 May 2009 Voice Conference

On 5/19/09 12:44 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> Marcos,
>
> On May 19, 2009, at 4:15 AM, ext Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> On 5/18/09 7:05 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>>> What is the status of the P&C's L10N model?
>>>
>>> It appears you've made some progress since the May 14 call:
>>>
>>> <http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/>
>>>
>>> Are you blocked on anyone else's inputs/actions?
>>>

>> I'm not blocked by anyone, though access still needs work. Robin and I
>> are on it though. Arve also discovered some issue with <feature>, which
>> I am addressing.
>
> Please elaborate on the "issue with <feature>".

The issue with feature is that it is unclear as to how URIs are
interpreted. The Generic URI spec says that the following are all the same:

       http://example.com
       http://example.com/
       http://example.com:/
       http://example.com:80/

The XML namespace spec, on the other hand, says that the above are all
different!

So, I had spec'ed that URIs in feature to be interpreted as Generic
URIs. So, if I say the following:

<feature name="http://example.com:/"/>

and then in the start file I ask:

widget.hasFeature("http://example.com") would return TRUE.

Arve said that, "no, URIs should be treated as namespace URIs". In which
case:

widget.hasFeature("http://example.com") would return FALSE.

The only way to get back true, would be to ask:

widget.hasFeature("http://example.com:/")

And, therein lies the problem :) My position was that URIs should be
treated as Generic URIs. However, Arve pointed out, and TLR agreed, that
treating URIs as Namespace URIs makes processing simpler (they work just
like namespaces).

Kind regards,
Marcos