Re: Proposal for addition to WebStorage

Initially it was thought that providing SQL storage is sufficient for
Web applications. This was also the path taken by Gears and
subsequently Safari. More recently there is talk of a general-purpose
architecture for offline apps using Gears and browser's SQL storage
[1]. The key term used in this architecture is write-through caches,
one that we first used in the context of mobile databases in June 2008
[2].

Is there anyone here that is interested in discussing further such an
architecture and what it implies in terms of usable and stable
interfaces for seamless offline data storage? We are still waiting for
feedback on the proposal we submitted nearly one month ago and would
support further work incorporating it into this WG's deliverables.

Nikunj

[1] http://code.google.com/events/io/sessions/GeneralCachingArchitectureOfflineApps.html
[2] http://o-micron.blogspot.com/2008/06/mobile-databases-or-write-through-web.html

On Apr 24, 2009, at 3:52 PM, Nikunj Mehta wrote:

> We want to standardize interception of HTTP requests inside Web
> browsers so as to allow applications to do their own interception
> and seamlessly access data on-line and off-line. This is primarily
> targeted at improving availability of data used by Web applications
> and improve their responsiveness.
>
> More specifically, we want to propose a specification for the
> following APIs
>
> 1. Programmable HTTP cache
> 2. Intercepting HTTP requests
>
> I am attaching a concrete proposal for the above APIs and the same
> can be found on our Web site at http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/feeds/spec/bitsy.html
> . We offer these inputs, under the terms of the W3C Patent Policy,
> to strengthen the current WebStorage working draft and address the
> requirements for offline data access in user agents. Our proposal is
> complementary to existing drafts being considered by the WG
> including WebStorage, WebWorkers, and Server-Sent Events.
> Collectively, these proposals can provide a sound basis for
> developing standard Web data synchronization techniques.
>
> If the WG agrees to add these APIs to the WebStorage specification,
> we will commit resources to augment the specification work for
> WebStorage.
>
> Cheers,
> Nikunj Mehta
>
> Blog: http://o-micron.blogspot.com
> <bitsy.html>
Nikunj R Mehta | Consulting Member of Technical Staff | Phone: +1 650
506 0679 | Blog: http://o-micron.blogspot.com
Oracle Advanced Development Projects
500 Oracle Parkway #4OP662 | Redwood Shores, CA 94065
  Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help
protect the environment