Re: Web Storage & SQL

From: Scott Shattuck <idearat@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:57:43 -0600
To: public-webapps@w3c.org
SQLite wasn't the first browser-accessible DBMS, nor is it the most
ubiquitous choice of target. IE's Jet database engine, which is the
underlying engine for Access, would seem to be the most useful target
specification. After all, the overwhelming majority of what I've heard
over the past decade when discussing database support in a web browser
can be paraphrased as "I want to port my Access application to the
browser. Can I do that?" Changing the storage model or semantics away
from those supported by Access would seem to be a great way to throw
another roadblock in front of customers whose prior desktop
applications have typically relied on Access, not Oracle, and
certainly not Versant et. al.

ss