Re: Web Storage & SQL

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:29:02 +0200
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: public-webapps@w3c.org
2009/4/9 Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>:
> Giovanni Campagna wrote:
>>
>> So why not adding a parameter on openDatabase() to specify what kind
>> of database we want (and what kind of query language we will use)?
>> I mean something like
>> openDatabase(name, version, type, displayName, estimatedSize)
>> where type can be any string
>> so, for example, type = "sql" uses the standard SQL, type="sqlite"
>> uses SQLite extensions, type="-vendor-xyz" is a vendor specific
>> extension, etc.
>
> How does this solve the original "no such thing as standard SQL, really"
> issue?

We have a standard SQL, and we have DBMS-specific extensions (for
SQLite, for MySQL, for SQLServer, etc.).
The latest version is "ISO/IEC 9075:2008 Information technology --
Database languages -- SQL", released in 2008, but actively being
revised, according to the ISO page.
As usual, if you want interoperability, you use the existing,
implemented, standard (or you ask the ISO to produce an updated
standard with new features), else you use extensions.

> -Boris

Giovanni