Re: Web Storage & SQL

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:59:26 +0200
To: Kris Zyp <kris@sitepen.com>
Cc: Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com>, public-webapps@w3c.org
As far as I understand from this discussion and from the linked posts,
there are currently three database types and their respective query
languages:

- relational databases and SQL
- Ecmascript objects and JSONQuery
- XML databases and XQuery

Each one has its own merits: for example XML allows to use XML
serialization and DOM, relational databases allow great masses of data
with fast indexing, ES object allow for both typed and untyped
(object) data. In addition, each one has its own community of
followers.
So why not adding a parameter on openDatabase() to specify what kind
of database we want (and what kind of query language we will use)?
I mean something like
openDatabase(name, version, type, displayName, estimatedSize)
where type can be any string
so, for example, type = "sql" uses the standard SQL, type="sqlite"
uses SQLite extensions, type="-vendor-xyz" is a vendor specific
extension, etc.

Giovanni