RE: [widgets] Digital Signatures questions for discussion

Hi All,

Marcos, Frederick and I met with Thomas at the recent W3C Security
workshop and were able to answer the questions that I had put forward
following the face-to-face discussion with the XML Security working
group in Mandelieu.

In short we agreed:

1. DSA-SHA256 will be specified as a second mandatory Signature
Algorithm. The XML Security working group will specify the necessary URI
as this is currently not available.

2. The Widgets 1.0: Digital Signature specification will mandate the use
of a Usage element (in place of the profile element). This will allow
signatures to be created that can be used for different purposes with
different processing requirements. Exact details to be worked out.

3. The Widgets 1.0: Digital Signatures specification will support the
use of a Timestamp element. This will allow the signature to have a
shorter lifetime than the certificate associated to it. The timestamp
need not be generated by a trusted time stamp authority - it will only
be valid provided that the certificates associated to the signature are
also still valid (not expired or revoked)

4. The Usage and Timestamp elements will be specified in a separate
specification so that they can be used by other specifications based on
XML DigSig. Frederick has drafted an initial proposal at
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-properties/

Thomas/Marcos/Frederick - please feel free to correct or add to the
above.

Comments and questions welcomed.

Thanks,

Mark