Re: [widgets] Packaging & Configuration 1.0 pre-CfC comments

From: Jere Kapyaho <jere.kapyaho@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:32:10 +0200
To: ext Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

Hi Marcos,

On 12.12.2008 19.58, "ext Marcos Caceres" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If people want to suggest a different name for the localized folder,
>> I'm Ok with that. I'll codify this into the spec today.
>
> Seems that the "z" in the string 'localized' personally insults my
> fellow Australian countrymen and the whole of the British nation. To
> avoid further offense, I've used the string "i18n" as the name of the
> container of localized content instead. So now we get:
>
>  i18n/en/, i18n/pt/, i18n/es-ar/ and so on...
>
> Hopefully this does not offend any other groups and defuses this
> international crisis:)

I was going to point that out, but you beat me to it... Somehow I knew the
'z' was going to be a problem. :) Personally, however, I think 'i18n' is not
so great, as it is just too clever, and makes people do a double take.

You mentioned that Apple and Yahoo widgets use 'resources', although based
on [1] I don't see that happening (in Dashboard widgets the language
specific directories are at the root level; in Mac OS X native apps they are
in 'Contents/Resources' inside the bundle). Anyway I don't see a big problem
there, because these are "files used by widgets" after all, they're just
organized in directories by language tag.

If not 'resources', here are more suggestions: 'res', 'global', 'lang',
'languages', 'local', 'locales'.

--Jere

[1]
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/appleapplications/conceptual/Dashbo
ard_ProgTopics/Articles/Localization.html