Re: [widgets] Content-type sniffing and file extension to MIME mapping

Marcos Caceres schreef:
> Seems that there is still too much incompatibility to suggest
> "application/xml" support across Widget user agents. I think we should
> just stick with text/html. If authors want to use "application/xml",
> then they can use <content src="somefile" type="application/xml" />
> and hope for the best :)

XHTML is a W3C standard that’s been Recommended status for many years
and has plenty of implementations (except for Internet Explorer, at this
time). This should be more than enough to warrant inclusion in the list
of MIME type mappings.

I’m against using the application/xml type for XHTML by the way. A more
specific MIME type is available and it has its use in certain occasions
(e.g. for content negotiation, to determine whether the UA is requesting
a human-readable XHTML  version or a site-specific machine-readable XML
version). XML is a transmission format that a lot of different formats
make use of, however each format using XML is still a format on its own
and should have its own MIME type. E.g. application/xhtml+xml should not
be confused with application/rdf+xml, even though both could be served
as application/xml.

~Laurens

--
Note: New email address! Please update your address book.

~~ Ushiko-san! Kimi wa doushite, Ushiko-san nan da!! ~~
Laurens Holst, student, university of Utrecht, the Netherlands
Website: www.grauw.nl. Backbase employee; www.backbase.com