Re: [selectors-api] SVG WG Review of Selectors API

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:57:58 +0100
Cc: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>

On Dec 8, 2008, at 17:26 , Lachlan Hunt wrote:
 >Since NSResolver was taken out, please consider adding hardcoded
namespace
>> prefixes for svg and xhtml similar to how the empty and any
>> namespaces are
>> handled by this draft.
>
> Similar functionality was previously requested and rejected for the
> xml and xmlns prefixes, and I see no reason to treat the xhtml and
> svg prefixes any differently.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2008Feb/0062.html

That's a shame, they should be defined for a DOM that supports XML
features, especially the xml namespace.

>> Or alternatively forward the reader to DOM 3 XPath for the cases
>> where the
>> Selectors API falls short.
>
> Please explain how providing a reference to DOM 3 XPath would be of
> any benefit?  How would it help readers in their understanding of
> this spec?

DOM 3 XPath solves pretty much the same problem but is more powerful,
providing a reference to it will be very useful to people who want to
select nodes from a DOM but bump into limitations of the Selector API.
It changes nothing to normative requirements, but makes the spec more
considerate towards its users, and a wee bit more useful.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/