Re: Wheel events

On 12/06/2008 02:32 AM, Travis Leithead wrote:
> Why does a mouse-wheel event need to include information about scrolling?
Because OS (OSX at least) generates different kinds of events for different kinds of user interactions.
"Pixel scrolling" when user scrolls only a bit, "line scrolling" when some larger amount is scrolled.

> I thought we already have specified a scroll event for this purpose?
That happens after something on the page has been scrolled. Mouse wheel events are dispatched
when user uses the wheel (for scrolling, or zooming or whatever the webapps want to do with wheel events.)

> It seems to me that the act of scrolling is merely related to the default action of wheel event (which, according to the wiki, specifies a default action of mousewheel (which itself could cause the default action of dispatching a scroll event).
>
> After re-reading the proposal on the Wiki,
Wiki doesn't have the version I prefer.

> I'm convinced that we're making the whole wheelevent much too complicated. It's a wheel. The user rolls it.
> If the event starts to make too many assumptions about what the intended purpose of the roll is (e.g., pixel scrolling, line scrolling, page scrolling, page navigations, etc.)

Pixel scrolling / line scrolling aren't "intended purpose". They are describing the data browser gets from the operating
system.

> About collapsing deltaX/Y/Z... one of the reasons we like the three vs. 1 is that together they specify a coordinate in 3-dimensional space; a vector that could be used in the future to cleanly move/pan in 3-dimensional space. If we went with .delta/.detail then the same application would suffer from the "jaggies" when responding to events sequentially.
Good point. So one event which contains .deltaX/Y/Z.

-Olli