[widgets] URI attribute naming

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:47:40 +0000
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Kai Hendry" <kai.hendry@gmail.com>

Kai recently raised a question with regards to the naming of
attributes that take either URIs or paths as values (for example,
<content src="some/file.html"). I wanted to clarify the choices I made
here and seek feedback.

In the spec, there are essentially 3 types of "URI" attributes: paths,
hyperlinks, identifiers.

Either absolute or relative paths, for addressing resources inside a
widget package. Any attribute that is a path shall be named "src".

This applies to the following elements:
  * content
  * icon

Technically, paths are not URIs (but they are resolved to URI's at
runtime... well, they will be one we sort out the widget URI mess).

A hyperlink is a URI that points to some resource on the Web that is
either meant to be retrieved by use action (e.g. by clicking), or
retrieved automatically by the UA at its convenience. Any attribute
that is a hyperlink will named "href".

This applies to the following elements:
  * author
  * license
  * update

There are two instances where identifiers are used. For the widget
element's identifier "wid" and for the feature element's name

Kind regards,

Marcos Caceres