Re: [widgets] Content-type sniffing and file extension to MIME mapping

From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:46:47 +0200
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

i'd like to take this moment to vote against .fla as mapped to flac.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=filetype%3Afla

[FLASH]
File Format: Shockwave Flash
America</ font></p> <p align="left"><font face="Century Gothic"
size="13" ...
www.babewithabackpack.com/world_flash.fla - Similar pages - Note this

I'm told this is a flash creator format instead of the .swf format
we're used to, but it's clearly flash and not flac.

If someone decides to make a widget which does some form of flash
authoring (and hopefully adobe would move their platform to our
standard), then i don't want to make life more difficult for them.

note that flac isn't supported in the browsers i have today, so
standardizing it is like standardizing a mime type for mng.

if we must support a mime type for audio, let it be .wav and .wave,
those are fairly unambiguous (although codec support should be clearly
marked as not guaranteed)