Re: Sketch of an idea to address widget/package addressing with fragID syntax and media-type defn.

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 10:09:31 -0500
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: "ext Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>, Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>

Marcos, Stuart,

On Dec 1, 2008, at 5:29 AM, ext Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)
wrote:
>> From: Marcos Caceres [mailto:marcosscaceres@gmail.com]
>>
>> Unfortunately, widgets/zip do not maintain media-type information.
>> That information is derived from content-type sniffing heuristics as
>> defined in HTML5 [1].
>
> Well there are ways around that, add a package description or meta-
> data file either at the root of the package or at each directory
> level and have it carry media-type information - or use 'magic
> numbers' or (if you really must - in the absense of other
> authoritative information), sniff/guess though I think that should
> be the least preferred option.
>
> Anyway - that zip files don't intrinically maintain such info is
> not a show stopper - though I would have thought that carrying
> media-type information is a natural requirement for a packaging
> format for the web.

It seems like adding such a meta-data file would increase the
complexity of authoring and implemenation and thus be contrary to at
least our "Ease of use" design goal [1].

-Regards, Art Barstow

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-reqs/#design>