Re: [WebIDL] questions

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:18:12 +1100, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:

> Yes.  I'€™ve added a paragraph clarifying this:
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-grammar

Excellent, thanks.

> The example should be valid, so the confusing sentence is wrong.  I'€™ve
> reworded it now:
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#PutForwards

Thanks. I have a few other questions that I ran into while implementing:

3. Can [PutForwards] be chained? That is, what happens if the attribute B on J also has a [PutForwards] pointing to something else? If chaining is allowed, how are infinite loops dealt with? The algorithm in section 4.4.3 seems to imply that chaining is allowed, since step 32 ends up calling [[Put]] on J, which will then run through the steps again.

4. Section 3.8.3 says that [ImplementedOn] takes an "identifier list", yet there is no such thing defined in the spec. I assume this will look something like [TheExtendedAttribute=identifier,identifier,...]. Rather than introducing a new syntactical construct, would it make more sense to simply allow the ImplementedOn xattr to be used multiple times on the same interface (i.e. [ImplementedOn=Node,ImplementedOn=Window])? Also, the Java example for ImplementedOn says "EventTarget et = (Node)n" instead of "EventTarget et = (EventTarget)n".

And finally, a typo in section 4.4, the third bullet point. I think the word "value" is missing at the end of the sentence "... IDL value to an ECMAScript."

Cheers,
kats