Re: Call for Consensus - Selectors Last Call

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 00:58:25 +0100
To: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org

Stewart Brodie wrote:
> 1) What is the scope element for - it's only mentioned in one sentence?

That statement has now been commented out (see my previous mail [1])

> 2) Is an empty string actually a valid selector?  If not, then the whole
> "null/undefined is an empty string" discussion is irrelevant - it's simply a
> syntax error.

Selectors defines what's considered valid or invalid, and an empty
string is invalid.  So having the spec say to treat null and undefined
as empty strings is effectively an indirect way of saying it's a syntax
error.

> 3) Does the matching algorithm work on based on the entire tree that
> contains the context node or just the sub-tree rooted at the context node? I
> think this is easiest fixed by adding an example like the one in the
> previous e-mail that I'm quoting and stating the expected result:

Already added (see previous mail).

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008OctDec/0216.html

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software