Re: Call for Consensus - Selectors Last Call

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:06:23 +0100, "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com> wrote:

> So this is a call for Consensus to publish the Editor's Draft [1] of the
> Selectors API spec as a Last Call. Please respond before Monday November
> 10. As always, silence is taken as assent but an explicit response is
> preferred.
>
> Opera supports publication of this draft as a Last Call.
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api/
> [2]
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api/disposition-of-comments.html

Is it just me or is the "scope element" somewhat under-defined in the spec? The only mentions of it are in this sentence:

"If the context node is a Document node, then the scope element is the documentElement of the given document. If the context node is an Element node, then the scope element is the same as the context node."

However, it doesn't say what the scope element does or why it's relevant, nor does it have a reference to any other spec that explains this. I did a quick search through the list archives (I haven't been following it too closely) and it looks like the :scope pseudo-class will be defined in another spec. I think that should be clarified, because otherwise it just looks like a completely random sentence that would be better taken out altogether.

Also, since the scope element stuff was deferred to another spec, this spec remains somewhat ambiguous (at least to me) about exactly what gets selected in the following case:

document.getElementById('foo').querySelector('.bar .baz')

I believe the above querySelector call should return the "baz" div as opposed to NULL, but it took me a few close readings of the spec to decide on that. A clarifying example in the spec would be quite helpful on this one.

Cheers,
kats