Re: [widgets] Widget locale

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:13:13 +0000
To: "Kapyaho Jere (Nokia-TP-MSW/Tampere)" <jere.kapyaho@nokia.com>, "Arve Bersvendsen" <arveb@opera.com>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org

Hi Jere,
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Kapyaho Jere (Nokia-TP-MSW/Tampere)
<jere.kapyaho@nokia.com> wrote:
> The definition of 'widget locale' is currently not in sync in the 'Widgets
> 1.0: Packaging and Configuration' [1] and 'Widget 1.0: APIs and Events' [2]
> specs. The locale issue has been mentioned earlier by Addison Phillips
> (comment #16 in [3]) and fixed, but I just noticed that the APIs spec
> mentions ISO 639-2 codes, and not BCP 47 tags.

Thanks for pointing this out. We will fix this in before the document
gets published.

> The question also remains how the widget engine reports the system locale to
> the widget as a BCP 47 language tag, if the engine itself is implemented on
> a platform that uses a different locale identification mechanism (which is
> highly likely). In that case some mapping is inevitable, and even though
> this is most likely implementation dependent, maybe a mention to that effect
> would be useful.

We will be sure to include a note about this. We will let you know
once we've added it so you can check that it is ok.

Kind regards,

Marcos Caceres