Re: [widgets] Version string

From: Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:11:20 -0700
To: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Cc: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, public-webapps-request@w3.org

We came up with an approach at OpenAjax Alliance for version strings where
the string must begin with N.N (or N.N.N or N.N.N.N) but can contain
arbitrary alpha text after the number value. Then we defined how to do
numeric comparisons between the leading numeric parts of two different
version strings.

*
http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/OpenAjax_Hub_1.0_Specification_Libraries

Jon

             Thomas Roessler
             <tlr@w3.org>
             public-webapps-re         Marcos Caceres
             quest@w3.org              <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       public-webapps
             10/27/2008 11:13          <public-webapps@w3.org>
                                       Re: [widgets] Version string

You'll want to define what it means for one version string to be
greater than another one.
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>

On 27 Oct 2008, at 17:27, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> Hi All,
> I would like to relax a valid version string to be any string. The
> reason I want to do this is to make it easier to parse a version
> string without requiring any special processing (any string will do).
> We will still recommend the  MIDlet Suite Versioning where "Version
> numbers have the format Major.Minor[.Micro] (X.X[.X])".
>
> This affects the widget element's version attribute and parts of the
> Updates spec in a minor way.
>
> Kind regards,
> Marcos
>
> --