Re: FileUpload Spec | Editor's Draft | Re: Call for Consensus: a new WD of the File Upload spec

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 04:50:47 -0700
To: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, arun@mozilla.com, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>

On Oct 16, 2008, at 9:57 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Oct 16, 2008, at 8:46 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>

>> But it does require an unforgeable user click to bring it up, so
>> you can't
>> spam it or make it pop up at carefully controlled times. Might not
>> be a huge
>> risk but I think the theoretical benefits are not worth it.
>>

> If the event cannot be manually created and dispatched, then how do
> you propose testing it?
>
> I'd like to see the unit test code that drives that one.

Cross-browser tests for <input type="file"> require human
intervention. The click is hardly the biggest obstacle; actually
selecting the file from the dialog is something that could not be
faked by posting DOM events, even in theory. Tests specific to a
particular layout engine or custom test harness may use special
facilities not available to normal Web content to automate the test.

Regards,
Maciej