Re: FileUpload Spec | Editor's Draft | Re: Call for Consensus: a new WD of the File Upload spec

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:54:14 -0700
To: arun@mozilla.com
Cc: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Web Applications Working Group WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Maciej,
>
>> My first question would be:
>>
>> Why did you ignore Apple's proposal to start with a minimal common
>> interface (which most people seemed to like) and instead wrote a draft that
>> is the union of all things in Robin's original spec, all things that Mozilla
>> happened to implement, and a bunch of the things that Google propose?

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-webapps/2008OctDec/0010.html
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008OctDec/0047.html
> [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008JulSep/0186.html
> [4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008JulSep/0387.html

Were you referring to [3] above? I didn't actually realize that Apple
was proposing that as a v1 for the FileUpload spec. Apologies for
that, it was certainly not intended to be ignored.

I do agree that that API is good and should become part of the web
platform, however I'm not sure that it solves enough use cases that it
deserves a spec on its own. Basically it only provides a 'cleaner' API
for what you can already do by adding target="a-hidden-iframe" on a
<form> element and calling .submit().

I think at the very least we should provide the ability to get access
to the data from within javascript so that you don't have to upload
the data to the server and pull it back down again. Be that through
the mozilla API or the google Blob API (seems like most people are
pushing for the google Blob API so I suspect we'll land on something
like it). That I think is a much bigger enabler for web developers and
a higher priority for at least me to get specified.

I'm less convinced that we need the FileDialog interface from Robin's
original spec as it's basically again just a "cleaner" API for
something that is already possible.

/ Jonas