Re: [widgets] i18n <span> element VS unicode RLM/LRM

Hi Marcos,

thank you very much for your response. I am happy with your resolution.
One comment below

Marcos Caceres さんは書きました:
> [...]
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/#att.local.no-ns.attributes
>> See also the related "Best Practice" to define such an element for XML
>> vocabularies at
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-xml-i18n-bp-20080213/#DevSpan
>> To keep simplicity for Widgets 1.0, you could say in your conformance
>> description that a Widgets processor has various options to deal with the
>> <its:span> element (or more in general: the ITS namespace) and its
>> attributes: ignore them or process them.
>>

> Ok, in the Widget User Agent conformance section I've added the
> following text for your consideration:
>
> "A widget user agent MAY support the Internationalized Tag Set's
> <its:span> element and the its:dir attribute [ITS]. Support of any
> other ITS elements and attributes is NOT REQUIRED. Although this
> specification specifies the elements of the configuration document in
> which <its:span> and its:dir can be used (below), it does not define
> how they are to be interpreted and processed by a widget user agent.
> If a widget user agent implements <its:span> and its:dir, then they
> MUST do so in conformance to the processing rules defined by the ITS
> specification."
>
> Then I've added the following subsection to the Configuration Document
> section...
>
> == Indicating text directionality and <its:span> ==
> Although it is optional for a widget user agent to implement [ITS],
> authors are may use the <its:span> element to indicate the
> directionality of arbitrary content. Directionality is indicated by
> using the its:dir attribute in conjunction with the <its:span>
> element. The its:dir accepts one of the following values, as defined
> in [ITS]:
>
> dir="ltr"  - left to right text
> dir="rtl"  - right to left text
> dir="lro" - left-to-right override
> dir="rlo" - right-to-left override
>
> For example,
>
> <widget
>    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets"
>    xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its">
>   <name>Yay for the  "<its:span dir="rtl">متعة الأسماك!</its:span>"
> Widget</name>
> </widget>
>
> The <its:span> element can be only be used as a child of the following
> elements of the configuration document:
>   * <name>
>   * <description>
>   * <author>
>   * <license>
>

>> If you do not want to add markup from a specific namespace, you could or
>> should IMO add extensibility points for people who need such markup. That
>> is, change in the schema something like
>>
>> description = element description {
>>  xmllang.att?,
>>  text
>> }

>> description = element description {
>>  xmllang.att?,
>>  any
>> }
>>
>> and define "any" and a pattern "anyElement" as

after looking at this again I am thinking you could also say:

any= (attribute * - w:* { text }
   | text
   | anyElement)*

anyElement =  element * - w:* { any }

"-w:*" (assuming that the "w" prefix is bound to the widgets namespace)
means that you exclude native widgets markup from the "any" defintions.
That is just a suggestion, no need to handle this as a formal comments.

Regards, Felix.