[widgets] Feature Access Declarations requirement

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 15:15:02 +0100
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

To more clearly reflect the current addition of the <feature> element,
I have drafted the following requirement for the Widgets Requirement

R21. Feature Access Declarations
A conforming specification MUST specify or recommend a means to allow
authors to declare that an instantiated widget will require access to
device specific standardized features or proprietary features (e.g. a
proprietary API to access the camera on a device). A conforming
specification MUST be specified in such a way that fallback
relationships can be declared so that if one feature is unavailable,
another can be declared as a possible substitute. In addition, A
conforming specification MUST provide authors with a means of stating
which features are optional and which features are mandatory for a
widget to run.

Device independence, ease of use, security, and interoperability.

To allow authors to securely request access to device specific
services and features, and to allow widgets to use proprietary
features but with a degree of graceful degradation if a feature is
unavailable to a particular widget user agent.

I've also moved the "Security Declarations" requirement to the
Security section (it's now R50).

Kind regards,
Marcos Caceres