Re: Call for Consensus: a new WD of the File Upload spec

From: Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 18:27:05 -0700
To: Sam Weinig <weinig@apple.com>
CC: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>

Sam,

> I don't think we should include synchronous access to File data
> provided by:
>   DOMString          getDataAsText(in DOMString encoding) raises(FileException);
>   DOMString          getDataAsBase64()
>                                         raises(FileException);
>   DOMString          getDataAsBinary()
>                                         raises(FileException);
>   DOMString          getAsDataURL()
> 										raises(FileException);

The only real change I made to the text from the "old" text of the spec.
was to add in requirements [1] to which I didn't get much feedback ;-)
but that's ok.  Mozilla's nsIDOMFile behaves synchronously, so I kept in
the section with such methods.  I'm not *super* opinionated on this and
am not sure that this should *prevent* publishing -- could we publish
what we have and then discuss?  I'll keep making changes before the
moratorium so we have something more substantive to discuss, but FWIW:

>  I would propose an asynchronous API, perhaps like the one proposed
> for
> Blobs http://code.google.com/p/gears/wiki/BlobWebAPIPropsal#Reading_Blob_Data,
> instead.

I agree and will add this (and have been meaning to).

-- A*

[1]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileUpload/publish/FileUpload.xhtml#requirements