Re: Proposal: High resolution (and otherwise improved) timer API

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:21:35 -0700
To: Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Cc: "public-webapps@w3.org Group WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>

On Oct 3, 2008, at 2:11 PM, Robert Sayre wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> A number of WebKit developers (including from the Chrome team and
>> the Safari
>> team) have been discussing ideas for a new and improved timer API.
>> We would
>> like to serve the following use cases which we feel are not well
>> served by
>> the de facto standard (and now HTML5 standard) interfaces of
>> setTimeout and
>> setInterval:
>
> I don't see anything in the HTML5 document that requires the 10-15.6ms
> delay. Is HTML5 going to add that as a conformance requirement?

I don't know. I would recommend to the HTML5 editor to require some
reasonable minimum because it seems to be de facto required for Web
compatibility. I cannot state with certainty that nothing lower than
10ms is safe. Chrome shipped with a 1ms delay and that was found to
create problems on a number of sites, including nytimes. They are
planning to try 4ms next. We would consider using a lower limit in the
official webkit.org version of WebKit, not not as low as 1ms.

Regards,
Maciej