Re: [widgets] Preferences API

From: Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:36:13 +0200
To: "Marcos Caceres" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:28:59 +0200, Marcos Caceres
<marcosscaceres@gmail.com> wrote:

>> While I, in principle, agree that not replicating existing storage APIs
>> is a
>> good thing, are we sure that all widget implementations will implement
>> HTML5?
>
> As Jonas said, we would just mandate that implementations implement
> just that one part of HTML5. Or, we just rip that part of HTML5 and
> put it in our spec and make sure we keep them synced.

If we are to do one of these, I'd very much prefer not to have to keep it
continously updated until 2022.

>> Also, are we sure that a preference storage may not have additional
>> requirements that make them a bad match (such as encryption of stored
>> data)?
>
> I also agree with Jonas that if it's good for widgets, it's probably
> good for HTML5 as a whole. For V1 of widgets, I think that HTML5's
> storage meets r26 [1]. But if new requirements arise (such as data
> encryption) we should work with the HTML-WG on that.

Note that encryption, which was my example here, may be an implementation
detail. I was just trying to say something about the requirement for HTML5
and Widgets might be different.

--
Arve Bersvendsen

Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/