Re: [widgets] Preferences API

Arve Bersvendsen wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 01:35:42 +0200, Marcos Caceres
> <marcosscaceres@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>> I think we should dump the Widgets preferences API in favor of HTML5
>> DOM's storage API. Basically, preferences API basically replicates
>> what DOM Storage already defines. Also, DOM storage is already
>> implemented across three or four browsers and we can assume the
>> specification to be fairly stable (or hopefully it will be by the time
>> we get to CR). Dumping the preferences API will also avoid problems in
>> the future as HTML5 becomes prevalent in the market.
>
> While I, in principle, agree that not replicating existing storage APIs
> is a good thing, are we sure that all widget implementations will
> implement HTML5?  Also, are we sure that a preference storage may not
> have additional requirements that make them a bad match (such as
> encryption of stored data)?

There is nothing that prevents requiring that that specific part of the
HTML5 spec be implemented. This wouldn't require the whole of HTML5 to
be implemented.

Also, if there are additional requirements, it might be a good idea to
raise them with the HTML5 WG to ensure that the storage API can be
reused for widgets.

/ Jonas